A descriptive essay is considered to be extremely powerful in its sole purpose. It stimulates to feel and imagine provoking smells, sensations, and visions. An impression lies at the very heart of a good descriptive essay. Originally, it creates the atmosphere in your essay paper.
Descriptive Essay: Definition and Meaning
We share our moods and impressions through descriptive essay writing. The very important thing is to involve all possible sensory details. All sights, touches, smells, sounds and tastes must help the reader to see the same picture that the writer has in his / her mind. It must be mentioned, that descriptive essay writing requires avoidance of the same patterns in the sentences. The writer should use figurative and vivid language. Try to combine descriptive sentences smoothly and avoid general words. The picture must be clear, not vague.
Writing an Effective Descriptive Essay You Must:
- Provide complete and intense description of the subject;
- Involve even the tiniest details if they are significantly important
- Demonstrate the emotional qualification of the subject
- Show your own response and impression about the subject
- Avoid irrelevant elements
- Observe every single aspect step by step
In this manner, we see that a descriptive essay is based on detailed observation and characterization.
Descriptive Essay Structure
The main aim of a descriptive essay is not simply to describe a particular object, place, person or situation, but to make your reader see and feel the same you do. In other words, you should try to reproduce your thoughts on the paper. Obviously, you must write in accordance with the particular structure, which usually contains:
- Introduction. This part is supposed to explain why the author has chosen a specific object or person. Introduction comprises a strong thesis statement and must captivate reader’s attention from the first lines.
- Body. Here, the author pays more detailed attention to the main points. As a rule, each point is considered and discussed in a separate section. Usually, the body consists of three paragraphs:
- The first paragraph tells the reader about the object itself, its characteristics and the most distinguishing features. It gives a full and vivid picture through the smallest details of observation.
- The second paragraph portrays surroundings. In this section, you are free to use as many stylistic devices as you want. Your reader must feel the atmosphere of the environment you describe.
- The last paragraph refers to senses and emotions. You describe everything you can feel, see, hear, touch, and smell. Your task is to make the picture alive.
- Conclusion. The last stage is the conclusion. It emphasizes the importance of your description. In this part, you sum up your emotions, attitudes, and impressions.
There are some helpful tips for proper descriptive essay structuring :
- Compare a few topics and choose the subject of description. Try to find an interesting thing, place, or person or use some memorable experience. Avoid vague language. Use powerful words to describe all specific details;
- Try to find the most relevant sources related to the topic;
- Do not forget about sufficiency. Your essay must contain an adequate number of idioms, metaphors, clichés, etc.;
- Always go from general to specific;
- The strongest accent must be put on the descriptions of the subject and observation details.
To compose a brilliant essay, try to adhere to all these guidelines. Remember that facts and examples are less important than your writer’s ability to create a vivid picture. Make your readers feel and imagine and do your best to give them a complete perception. Let them create a whole picture in their minds. Illustrate the most important details using all human senses, bring a subject to life, and you will succeed.
What is the purpose of a descriptive essay?
A descriptive essay is written in order to get the reader to understand something through the use of descriptive language. In a narrative essay, the reader is told a story. Through that story, they are able to piece together descriptions of the people, places, items, and events that are discussed. In a descriptive essay, there is no story that is being related to the audience. Though previously discussed the purpose of persuasive essay, students often confuse these two purposes.
Here is an example of a car that is being described in a narrative essay:
When John hit the gas pedal, the car took off like a rocket. In less than ten seconds he was going over 100 miles per hour. After the race was over, his opponent approached him and shook his hand. “That sure is a mean green machine!” the man said.
Now, here is an example of a car that is the topic of a descriptive essay:
The car's metallic green paint sparkled in the bright sunlight. If one looked under the hood, he would find a fully rebuilt high performance engine designed specifically for drag racing. When the engine started, the sound was like roaring thunder.
In both examples, we come to understand that the car is green, fast, and used for racing. However, in the second example, it was necessary to use more descriptive words. This is because without the narrative in place, the writer must rely on the reader's senses to get his/her point across.
Why is a Descriptive Essay Sometimes Better than a Narrative Essay?
Students often wonder what is the descriptive essay purpose when they can just write a narrative essay that allows them to tell a story and describe something at the same time. There are a few reasons why a descriptive essay can be preferable to a narrative essay. First, sometimes a subject is so significant and meaningful that it cannot be accurately described in a narrative. This is because the subject must compete with the plot, the characters involved, and other subjects that are being indirectly described. In a descriptive essay, the writer is able to fully dedicate the written content to one subject. In addition to this, the descriptive essay can be an excellent writing exercise. Many writers do not have a well-developed ability to use descriptive language. They tend to rely on very generic adjectives, and they tend to miss out on opportunities to insert metaphors and similes into their writing. A descriptive essay is a great way to force writers who are reluctant to use descriptive writing out of their comfort zones and to foster greater confidence in the use of figurative language.
What are Some Good Descriptive Essay Topics?
Descriptive essays are no different than other types, in that essay writing is much easier when the subject is one that interests or excites the writer. When it comes to selecting a descriptive essay topic, there is virtually nothing that is off limits. Think about it. Anything from a shoe to a beautiful tropical island can be described, although most people would probably be more interested in reading about the island. If you are able to select your own descriptive essay topic, your best bet is to pick a topic that you know that you find interesting. Try asking yourself a few of these question. One of them may be the writing prompt that you need:
- Is there a member of your family who would be a good subject for a descriptive essay?
- Would you be interested in describing your bedroom in an essay?
- Describe your best friend.
- What was your first car like?
- Describe your favorite amusement park.
- What is your favorite place to go when you are sad?
- Where do you enjoy going on vacation?
- What is your least favorite food?
- What is the most treasured object in your bedroom?
These types of questions are usually very helpful if you need help thinking of an essay topic. You should also feel free to think up some of your own essay questions and essay prompts. The longer your list of topic ideas, the better able you will be to get started on future descriptive essays.
Where Can You Find Help on Descriptive Essays
Your school writing lab is a great place to find help with writing descriptive essays. In addition to this, there are also lots of great writing resources on the internet. A third option you should keep in mind is an online writing service. Any time you need essay writing help, you can always contact grabmyessay.com, a reputable company that can assist you as you write essay works on any subject that you wish to describe. College students have been coming to GrabMyEssay.com for essay writing help for many years. Just let a customer service representative know that you want them to “write my essay,” and in just a few minutes, you will be getting the help that you need.
descriptive essayessay writingessay help